Sunday, November 18, 2007

Good Neighborhood Signs

How can you tell if you're in a good neighborhood or a bad neighborhood? What are the signs? Some people might say that if you see a cop parked on your street everyday it is neither a good or a bad neighborhood, rather a neighborhood in transition. But the idea of a "good" or "bad" neighborhood is something that realtors harp on so they can extort more money from you doesn't seem to be too far from what I believe. Sure there is good and bad to everything and each word is subjective; but when I ask "would you rather spend time in an area with bars on the windows of houses you pass while walking or pass mr. or miss sprite-like neighbor who says "howdy neighbor" while raking his leaves. To be honest both of these situations scare me, but if I were to pick I would have to go with the dork across the street who's life might be similar to the world in The Truman Show.

I do like my neighborhood; though it is in the suburbs; about a mile from the beltway, it does have some niceties that I have come to appreciate. For instance I like the people that go for walks with their dogs in the park without leashes, I like the same people who decide it's time for a walk at midnight and prance around the neighborhood with their gloves and mittens on (not at the same time) with junior and I like the tall trees that line the yards of our neighbors, the absence of graffiti and crack whores on the corner by the bus stop are also pluses. I would say that it is a good neighborhood if given the chance. One sign however that may not be a sign of a 'good' neighborhood is a crowbar through your driver side window in your 2003 Honda Accord and shattered glass both inside and outside of your vehicle. Yes; it is real, and it happened not only to me and my Honda, but another Honda down the street and around the corner from me on the same night. I'm not saying that I live in a bad neighborhood, but I'm feeling though this incident has added more character to it than neighbor Truman raking his leaves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

holy $hit...we didn't think the crowbar was going to actually make it through the glass! j/k - i'm so sorry to hear that! its time you got one of these:

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/02/20/telsa_coil_prot.html