Monday, October 1, 2007

What shall I do next?


So I'm having trouble trying to figure out what I should do next. I thought that I would get home from work early enough to get somthing done but alas here I am an houre before I go to bed with nothing but large projects in front of me. There are several things that I've been talking about doing for awhile now; and here they are in no particular order. Insulation, Insulation, Vapor Barrier and new to the list is the Seeding of the Lawn. There are actually more lawn / garden projects than just that. A few days ago I came outside to notice a bunch of sawdust particles in front of the house to the right beneath the dogwood tree. Wondering what it was I walked over an looked up to find a perfect circle in a branch about 8 feet above the ground measuring about an inch in diameter. And when I say 'Perfect Hole' I mean perfect; I couldn't figure out if something in nature did it or it was something that a large drill made. I grabbed a ladder to checdk it out and sure enough it went down into the tree's branch about four inches! I was consumed by the thoughtt that someone may hve been in my front yard with a large drill making holes in my tree so I started asking around about Dogwoods and woodpeckers. Without a concrete answer I came home late that night and shined a flashlight into the tree and noticed a small bird poke it's head out as to scream "What's the big idea?! Can't you see I'm trying to sleep!?" The thing is really tiny too. No larger than 6". I can't imagine raising a family in that lille hole. It's so tiny; I hope he's not thinking about adding on. I talked to this guy who is considered by Montgomery county to be a 'master gardener' about the problem and he was absolutely no help. He said whatever you do; don't put tar in the hole to fill it. I spoke with another person at a gardening store who told me the safest thing to do is to fill it with wood glue. I dont' think there is really anything that can be done. I have a sinking feeling that in about a year it will need to come down. I've attached a photo of the tree at night. What do you think?

So buying a gallon of wood glue and dumping into a hole in my Dogwood tree is also on the list.

3 comments:

Marc said...

Wait, are you saying you want to fill in that bird's hole? What about the bird?!

Anonymous said...

Seeding the grass is actually pretty easy. Shouldn't take you more than half a day's work at most. Grab up some soil, get the aerator-soled shoes from Home Depot (then wash them off and return them!)...Spread the seed (not your own, or else you'll get Brian Grass) and put some much needed soil over it. Wet it all down, grab the paper, some cocoa and a pipe - and you've got a day of grass growing to relax you after some hard work. Forget about insulation, just eat more.

Anonymous said...

ok - its been 31 days now...