Friday, September 28, 2007

Is This What Homeownership Is?


Everywhere I look, I keep finding things to do. I can't be in this house wihtout noticing something that needs to be fixed, replaced, or removed completely. This is seriously stressful, I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't understand the value of money and how little we have. I feel like we got into this house by the skin of our teeth and now here we are in it, unpacked and everything but not able to figure out what we should do now and what we should put off until we have more money. I think Bethany feels the same way.

Yesterday I called out sick, because I was really sick and thought I needed to rest and get better so I could go in on Friday I couldn't relax because I knew there was a ton of work to be done. So there was this leak in the shower and a leak outside close to the side yard spigot so I decided to call someone to take a look at it and fix it. But who? Who should I call? The previous owner was really good and gave us the list of contractors she used before she moved to Portland Maine but somehow never used a plumber after 19 years here. No wonder there are leaks. So I called some friends, my Realtor that sold us this place and the neighbors who may have advice; then I signed up with Angie's list; a friend told me about the site. I thought it would be a good thing to do since we've never done anything like this before, and it was; I found out how much a plumber costs. The advice he gave me was worth it, barely but he fixed three problems for me and gave me all kinds of answers to all of my problems, I guess that's what you get for spending close to $300 for two hours of work, which by the way, is making me reconsider my current career.

There is so much to do and so little time or money to do it. Grrr, I'm so glad I don't have any kids right now; I would be pulling my hair out.

No comments: